Corrosion Resistant Technology for Plastic Injection Molds
Molds that have been built with corrosion resistant technology often have a much longer life. It able to come into contact with the plastics and water during the production without suffering from corrosive damages. This is a quality that is very important to look for in used plastic injection molds.
Before you choose a plastic injection mold for use in your factory, it is critical to take the following things into account:
• How costly the molding process will be
• Material that the mold made from
• Size of the mold
• Type of material being molded
• Present environmental conditions (i.e., humidity)
• Mold maintenance, such as mold repair or design changes
• viagrasansordonnancefr.com Whether or not the mold is corrosion resistant
For the corrosion resistance, there are 3 different types of treatment that quality plastic molds can undergo.
Steel Type (grade)
For corrosion resistance, the best is to use Stainless Steel we can use Stavax or Ramax. Ramax is a good choice for mold base plates while Stavax works for cavity and core inserts. Stainless steel is the preferred method to get a corrosion resistance for molds.
There are several different plating options that can make molds more corrosion resistant. This include:
• Hard Anodizing- This method is typically used for aluminum tools, rather than the steel tools that are coated using other processes.
• Electroless Nickel- This type of plating is put into molds using a bath, which allows internal channels to be coated.
• Electroless Nickel Teflon- This is the ideal type of molding for parts that need a minimal amount of friction. Otherwise, another plating option is usually used.
• Hard Chrome- This will not work on all types of steel tools, but it only requires a thin plating to improve corrosion resistance.
Of these 4 types of plating, electroless nickel has the most advantages. It can be plated as thin as 5 microns, evenly across the entire mold. It also cools more efficiently and is able to be used on internal water cooling channels. Electroless nickel plating is most well-known for its use of plastic molds.
The key factor when purchasing a used mold is whether or not it is resistant to corrosion. A mold without corrosion resistance is often a poor choice because they have a much shorter lifespan. Considering the different methods that are used for corrosion resistance can also help you choose the right type of used injection mold.
Comments are closed.